Jen Finkelstein is a licensed professional clinical counselor and nationally certified counselor specializing in working with teens and young adults in Encinitas, CA.
Jen began her career as an elementary school teacher. As a teacher, she recognized much of the trauma and mental health barriers the youth were experiencing. She realized her passion of wanting to help these youth and their families overcome the barriers to be able to access their education and experience their lives more fully. She began to volunteer and then returned to school to fulfill her dream of becoming a therapist.
Since graduating from the University of Hawaii in 2006, Jen has worked in schools, non-profit organizations, and private offices to help clients build on their strengths to overcome anxiety, depression, trauma, and manage life transitions that are causing difficulties in their lives.
Along with being a therapist, Jen is the past chair of the Teen Relationship Violence and Prevention Coalition and an active member on the San Diego Domestic Violence Council. She speaks regularly to audiences on many topics including healthy relationships, anger and aggression, and the challenges of becoming a young adult.
Jen enjoys being an active volunteer in her community and hosts local foster youth on surfing experiences through Urban Surf 4 Kids. She also enjoys taking time for activities such as surfing, hiking, and traveling as well as spending time with her friends, family and her dog, Peanut.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, Masters of Education (M.Ed)
- Humboldt State University, BA
License, Certifications & Awards:
- LPCC 44 (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor)
- NCC (National Certified Counselor)
- Ruby Red Soroptimist Award
- Certified Domestic Violence Trainer
- RTR (Reducing the Risk) Trainer for Trainers (Pregnancy Prevention)
- Seeking Safety facilitator
Professional Activities and Membership:
- ACA (American Counseling Association)
- CALPCC (California Association for Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors)
- SDDVC (San Diego Domestic Violence Council)
- Past chair – TRVP (Teen Relationship Violence Prevention Committee)